At Consett Junior School our MFL programme for KS2 focuses on teaching French. Our planning is based on the Kapow scheme of work which covers all the components of the Programme of Study. The curriculum is designed to progressively develop children’s skills in languages, through regularly taught lessons and a continuous provision approach. It is the intention that all children in KS2 will access first quality teaching of French by their class teacher in order to use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary and adequately prepare them for KS3.
The aims and objectives of learning a modern foreign language in primary school are:
- to foster an interest in learning other languages;
- to introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and fun;
- to make young children aware that language has a structure, and that the structure differs from one language to another;
- to help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries;
- to develop their speaking and listening skills;
- to lay the foundations for future study;
Kapow Primary’s French scheme of work aims to instill a love of language learning and an awareness of other cultures. We want pupils to develop the confidence to communicate in French for practical purposes, using both written and spoken French.
Through our scheme of work, we aim to give pupils a foundation for language learning that encourages and enables them to apply their skills to learning further languages, developing a strong understanding of the English language, facilitating future study and opening opportunities to study and work in other countries in the future.
Kapow Primary’s French scheme of work supports pupils to meet the national curriculum end of Key stage 2 attainment targets (there are no Key stage 1 attainment targets for Languages).
French Long term Plan 2022-2023
The Progression Documents associated with our Long Term Plan can be found below: