We adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEN:
Some children require provision that is additional to or separate from what is provided for all children. We adapt the curriculum and learning environment for pupils with SEN as appropriate. Some ways we meet the needs of children on the SEN register are:
- An individual support plan
- Regular communication and review meetings between school and families
- Access to specific or specialist resources
- Referrals to appropriate agencies
- Specific targeted interventions
Our Physical Environment and SEND:
- We use visual timetables and symbols to support communication in classes and around school.
- Some children have individual work stations within their classes.
- We are fully wheelchair accessible.
- We are in the process of developing a sensory area.
- We have numerous break out areas for 1:1 or small group work.
Our Curriculum and SEND:
- Use of a range of teaching and learning styles
- Changing the way activities are planned and delivered to promote an inclusive curriculum
- Matching activities to the ability/need of each child (differentiation)
- Personalised curriculum, if appropriate
- Adapting learning materials such as equipment and activities to suit each child’s needs, e.g. pencil grips, coloured overlays etc.
- Flexible groupings – including small group support work
- Access to ICT and Technology
- Additional in class support and out of class support
- The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities through after school clubs
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate.
The provision for pupils with SEN across the four Broad Areas Of Need may include some of the following interventions amongst others depending on need:
Communication and interaction – Individual speech and language therapy, speech and language link, access to private speech and language therapist, Communication Fix, Practical Speech and Language.
We work with NHS speech and language therapists to deliver specific interventions based on their recommendations.
Cognition and learning – Lexia, Specific Maths and English interventions, Toe by Toe, 1:1 tutoring.
We work with the Cognition and Learning Team and Educational Psychologists to deliver specific interventions based on their recommendations.
Social, Emotional and Health Difficulties –Relax Kids, Yoga, Time to Talk, Lego Therapy, Getting Along, Specific social groups, Social stories.
We work with CAMHS, Behaviour Support, Emotional Wellbeing Workers, The Autism and Social Communication Team and Educational Psychologists to deliver specific interventions based on their recommendations.
Sensory and/or Physical Difficulties – Fine Motor Interventions, Sensory Breaks.
We work with Occupational Therapy, the school nurse and Educational Psychologists to deliver specific interventions based on their recommendations.
More details on how we adapt information, our environment and curriculum can be found in the Accessibility Plan which you ca find in the School Policies section of our website.